This easy recipe for no bake biscuit cake is perfect to make as a tasty and indulgent dessert. Classic biscuit cake features your favorite biscuits (cookies) soaked in coffee and layered with a homemade chocolate sauce. Prepare as a sweet treat with my step-by-step instructions, video and photos!
About This Biscuit Cake
I have many wonderful dessert recipes on the site, from Chocolate Cake to homemade Ice Cream and lots of sweet goodies in between.
This is a recipe which I had seen in my childhood in one of the cookery shows on the Indian Doordarshan channel and I still remember it. I had never forgotten this one. I used to make a few changes and make this no bake biscuit cake on occasions.
After several requests from readers for a no-bake cake made with biscuits (known as cookies in the US and other regions), I am sharing this foolproof recipe that’s a hit every time.
Speaking of, here are two more recipes for desserts that use biscuits and crackers on the blog:
- Mango Cheesecake
Likewise, this chocolate biscuit cake is easy to prepare with nearly any sweet biscuit you like. I use glucose biscuits, but feel free to make no-bake cookie cake with Marie biscuits, your favorite digestive biscuit, or sweet crackers.
The taste is similar to a traditional chocolate cake, but has a slightly firmer and more tender texture. Biscuits are briefly soaked in coffee, then layered with a delicious chocolate sauce.
I have prepared the sauce with Cadbury’s Bournville raisin and nut chocolate for even more deep flavor. You can also use Cadbury’s Dairy Milk Chocolate, couverture, or compound chocolate, if you prefer. (However, do not use Cadbury’s Silk Chocolate. It does not work well for a smooth chocolate sauce.)
Keep reading for the simple steps to prepare the best no bake biscuit cake!
How to make Biscuit Cake (No Bake)
Prep The Ingredients
1. First assemble all the ingredients. You will need the following:
- 250 grams (8 ounces) of glucose biscuits or other sturdy cookies or crackers you prefer
- 80 grams (roughly 3 ounces) of chocolate
- ½ a cup of milk
- ½ tablespoon of instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
2. Line a cake pan or a loaf pan with parchment paper, butter paper or aluminium foil. You can use any medium-sized cake pan.
You can use any medium-sized loaf pan. If you do not have a loaf pan, you can also use a regular medium-sized round pan or a tray which has some height and depth.
Make Coffee Solution
3. Add ⅓ cup of water to a small sauce pan and heat slightly over a low flame. The water should be warm or slightly hot, but not simmering.
4. Now pour the warm water into a medium bowl.
5. Add a ½ tablespoon of instant coffee. If you prefer to make this biscuit cake without coffee, simply substitute with drinking chocolate, hot cocoa powder, or regular cocoa powder or ground cacao.
6. Mix very well. Set aside.
Make Chocolate Sauce
7. Next add ½ cup of milk in the same saucepan. You can also use almond milk or cashew milk or soy milk for a dairy-free biscuit cake.
8. Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder.
9. Mix very well with a wired whisk until the sauce is smooth without any lumps.
10. Next add 1 tablespoon of sugar. You can add more or less depending on personal taste and how sweet your chocolate is.
The cadbury chocolate I use is already quite sweet, but bittersweet or dark chocolate bars might need a bit more sugar.
11. Place the pan on stove top and turn the heat to low.
12. Stir with a wired whisk to dissolve the sugar.
13. Slowly bring this cocoa mixture to a gentle boil as you continue to whisk regularly.
14. After it comes to a gentle boil, then continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium-low heat. Continue to stir often.
15. After 2 to 3 minutes, switch off the heat and place the saucepan on your kitchen countertop. Add the chopped chocolate.
16. Begin to mix the chocolate into the sauce.
17. The heat of the cocoa sauce will melt the chocolate. Mix to a smooth glossy consistency. At this point, you can add some chopped nuts or dry fruits if you want.
Also, check the taste and add more sugar if required. But do keep in mind the sweetness of the biscuits you will be using. Set the pan aside so that it cools slightly to warm.
Making Biscuit Cake
18. Take each parle glucose biscuit and dip in the coffee solution. If using glucose or marie biscuits or digestive biscuits, then just dip for a second and quickly remove.
Do not keep in for any longer or the cookies will become too soggy.
19. You just need to coat the parle g biscuits with the coffee syrup.
20. Then place the biscuit in the pan lined with parchment paper. Continue to dip each biscuit in the coffee syrup and line the pan with a single layer of biscuits.
21. Stack on top to make a second layer of dipped biscuits. Depending on the size of the pan, you can make 2 to 3 layers.
22. Now pour half of the chocolate sauce over the biscuit layers, and spread it evenly but gently with a spatula. Tilt the pan a bit so that the chocolate sauce spread all over the biscuit layer.
23. Make another third layer of coffee solution dipped biscuits.
24. Then make a fourth layer.
25. Finally, pour the remaining chocolate sauce and spread it evenly.
26. Seal the pan with a lid or cover with foil. Place in refrigerator and let the biscuit cake set for at least 4 to 5 hours. You can also keep it in the fridge overnight.
27. Below picture is of the biscuit cake after being set.
28. When ready to serve, carefully lift the sides of the parchment paper and place the biscuit cake on a chopping board or tray.
29. Slice the no bake cake gently.
30. The chocolate biscuit cake will have many layers. It looks as pretty as it tastes, so I suggest you serve it in such a way that the layers can be seen. And be sure you also eat those yummy little bits of biscuits and chocolate left on the parchment paper!
31. Serve biscuit cake as a dessert after meal or with tea or coffee. You can also enjoy it as a sweet snack anytime of the day.
- Biscuits or Cookies: To make these biscuit cake feel free to use any type of sweet cookies or biscuits or crackers. You can also use Marie biscuits, digestive biscuits and Graham crackers.
- Type of Chocolate: For the chocolate use a good quality compound or couverture chocolate. You can also use dairy milk chocolate.
- Sweetness: Depending upon the sweetness of the chocolate and biscuits you can vary the amount of sugar. E.g if you use dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate, you will need to add more sugar.
- Scale: The recipe can be easily scaled to make a big batch of this sweet treat for kids parties or birthdays.
- Cocoa Powder: Swap cocoa powder with drinking chocolate or ground cacao.
- Coffee: Use instant coffee powder or granules. If you don’t prefer coffee replace it with drinking chocolate or cocoa powder or ground cacao.
- Nuts: For some crunch you can also make a layer of finely chopped nuts like almonds, pistachios, walnuts and cashews.
More Chocolate Recipes To Try!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
Biscuit Cake | Chocolate Biscuit Cake (No Bake Recipe)
An easy recipe for no bake biscuit cake is perfect to make as a tasty and indulgent dessert. This chocolate biscuit cake features your favorite biscuits (cookies) soaked in coffee and layered with a homemade chocolate sauce
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 5 mins
Total Time 20 mins
Cook ModePrevent your screen from going dark while making the recipe
First assemble all the ingredients.
Line a cake pan or a loaf pan with parchment paper, butter paper or aluminium foil. You can use any medium sized cake pan.
Making coffee solution
Take water in a small sauce pan and warm it. The water should be warm or slightly hot.
Then take the warm water in a bowl. add ½ tablespoon instant coffee.
Mix very well. Keep aside.
Making chocolate sauce
Next milk in the same sauce pan. add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.
Mix very well to solution without any lumps.
Then add 1 tablespoon sugar.
Keep the pan on stove top and keep the flame to a low.
With a wired whisk stir so that all the sugar dissolves.
Let this cocoa mixture come to a boil.
After it comes to a boil, then continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on a low to medium-low flame. Stir often.
After 2 to 3 minutes, switch off the flame and add the chopped chocolate.
Keep the pan down and begin to mix.
The heat of the cocoa solution will melt the chocolate. Mix to a smooth glossy consistency.
At this point you can add some chopped nuts or dry fruits if you want.
Making biscuit cake
Take each glucose biscuit and begin to dip in the coffee solution. If using glucose or marie biscuits or digestive biscuits, then just dip and remove in a second. Do not keep for more time as biscuits will break.
You just need to coat the biscuits with the coffee syrup.
Then place the biscuit in the pan with the parchment paper. Similarly dip each biscuit in the coffee syrup and line the pan with a single layer of biscuits.
Also make a second layer. Depending on the size of the pan, you can make 2 to 3 layers.
Now pour half of the chocolate sauce on the biscuit layers and spread it evenly but gently with a spatula. You can also tilt the pan slightly so that the chocolate sauce spreads all over evenly.
Make another third and fourth layer of coffee solution dipped biscuits.
Finally pour the remaining chocolate sauce and spread it evenly.
Seal the pan with a lid or with a foil. Keep in fridge and let the biscuit cake set for 4 to 5 hours. You can also keep overnight.
Now carefully lift the sides of the parchment paper and keep biscuit cake on a chopping board or tray. Slice the cake gently.
The chocolate biscuit cake will have layers. So while serving you can serve in such a way that the layers can be seen.
Serve biscuit cake as a dessert after meals or as a sweet snack.
- If you do not plan to use a coffee solution, then substitute drinking chocolate or ground cacao or cocoa powder with coffee.
- Use any sweet biscuits or cookies or sweet crackers of your choice. You can also use Marie biscuits or sweet digestive crackers.
- For the chocolate, you can opt to use a good quality couverture or compound chocolate.
- Add sugar as needed in the chocolate sauce depending upon your taste buds and the sweetness of the chocolate and biscuits.
- Use a regular loaf pan or a medium-sized round pan. You can also use a baking tray which has some height and depth.
- The recipe can be scaled to make a large batch for kids party.
- Nutrition info is for 1 slice of biscuit cake.
Biscuit Cake | Chocolate Biscuit Cake (No Bake Recipe)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g13%
Vitamin A 20IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 12µg3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Biscuit Cake Recipe post from the archives (originally published on December 2017) has been updated and republished on 1 December 2021.