Chickpea Curry is easy, healthy and full of flavor! You’ll be addicted to one bite of this hearty curry with garlic, spices and tender potato chunks.
There’s nothing quite like a bowl of steamed rice and a warm curry! Skip the takeaway and try making massaman curry, vegetable curry, and butter chicken next!
Easy recipe for chickpea coconut curry
If you haven’t jumped on the chickpea train yet, now is the time! You can make so many great, healthy recipes with it! Pop them in the air fryer, toss them in tacos, or make an easy hummus for the whole family! Chickpeas are packed with protein and fiber, making any meal something to feel good about eating! To be honest, this creamy chickpea coconut curry is the most delicious addition to the range!
Chickpeas, sautéed onions, minced garlic and tender potato chunks are all simmered in coconut milk and spices. The result? Creamy, flavorful perfection! This chickpea curry has a nice, mild flavor. It is something that can be enjoyed by everyone! (However, if you want to crank up the heat, I’m here to help! Check out my tips below!) So if you’re looking for a dinner that will knock your family’s socks off, this is it! Serve with some garlic butter naan for a truly memorable meal.
Ingredients for chickpea curry
Nothing special is required for this! With just a few basic ingredients and spices, you’ll be making a big pot of this chickpea curry in no time! See recipe card below for exact measurements.
- olive oil: Used for frying onions, garlic and potato pieces.
- Onion: Onion cubes ensure the perfect spicy taste. I used a yellow onion here, but you can use a white onion if you want something sweeter!
- Garlic: Garlic makes everything better! Fried, it has a great caramelized, savory flavor.
- Potato: Potatoes get so soft and flavorful when you curry them in a pot! They will love it!
- Crushed tomatoes: Add aroma and serve as a base for the curry.
- Canned coconut milk: You can use light coconut milk to keep this dish diet-friendly, but I always use full-fat for the perfect creamy touch.
- Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas work great here! Be sure to drain and rinse them so your curry doesn’t get watery.
- salt: Improves the overall taste.
- curry powder: Use your favorite brand or make it from scratch!
- Brown sugar: This is optional! I like to add it to keep my chickpea curry on the sweeter side.
- Fresh cilantro and lime: Top it off with aromatic cilantro and lime wedges as a garnish!
How to make chickpea curry
This chickpea curry is so easy to make! Really, all you have to do is put everything in a big pot and cook! It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. If my teenage sons can do it, so can you!
- Sauté vegetables: First, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and diced onion. Fry for 3 minutes until tender. Then add the chopped garlic and diced potatoes. Continue cooking and stirring over medium-high heat for another 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients: Next add coconut milk, mashed tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, curry powder, and brown sugar if using. Stir in all ingredients to combine.
- Cook: Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes and chickpeas are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Enjoy: Serve with rice and garnish with coriander leaves and fresh lime!
Tips, tricks and variations
Even if it’s your first time making curry, I’m sure it will turn out perfectly! It’s a lot easier to make than you think and so delicious. Sorry local Indian restaurant no more take away orders for you! Here are a few tips and tricks for making the best chickpea curry possible.
- Add spice: Hey heat lovers! If the base recipe is too bland for you, you can add powdered chillies, cayenne pepper, and fresh hot peppers to take it up a notch (or three).
- Use a slow cooker: Want a great, hearty dinner to come home to? This can also be done by placing everything in a slow cooker and cooking on low for about 6 hours.
- Serve with: Rice and naan is always a good idea! You can also serve this alongside a salad, chutney or some tandoori chicken.
How long does it take?
Chickpea Curry is a recipe that’s great to store and reheat! You will love having it for lunch.
- In the refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- In the freezer: You can store your curry in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
- post-heating: Thaw frozen curry overnight in the refrigerator before using. I like to heat chickpea curry over the stovetop over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until thoroughly heated through.
More soups, stews and curries
You will love these hearty one pot meals! They’re easy to put together for dinner and the whole family will love them. They’re perfect for warming you up indoors and out on a cold day!
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and diced onion. Fry for 3 minutes until tender. Add the chopped garlic and diced potato. Continue cooking and stirring over medium-high heat for another 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, mashed tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, curry powder, and brown sugar if desired. Stir in all ingredients to combine.
Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes and chickpeas are tender and the sauce has thickened.
Serve with rice and garnish with coriander leaves and fresh lime!
Feel free to use light coconut milk for fewer calories.
Zucchini can be used instead of or in addition to potatoes.
calories57kcal (3%)carbohydrates6G (2%)protein1G (2%)fat4G (6%)Saturated Fatty Acids1G (5%)Polyunsaturated fat1GMonounsaturated fatty acids3Gsodium584mg (24%)potassium63mg (2%)fiber1G (4%)sugar4G (4%)Vitamin A23ievitamin C2mg (2%)calcium18mg (2%)iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary per household based on the brands you use, measurement methods, and serving sizes.
keyword chickpea curry