This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is a deep, dark chocolate cake topped with light and fluffy chocolate whipped cream! With 3 cups of zucchini, it’s incredibly juicy and you won’t even notice all the veggies!
If you have an abundance of zucchini and are looking for more ways to use them, try these Zucchini Chips, these Cheesy Zucchini Fritters, or this Cinnamon Zucchini Walnut Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
If you’re a gardener and planted zucchini this year, you might be looking for 500+ different uses! Zucchini plants are the gift that keeps giving and giving and giving. It always makes everything so juicy and delicious!
This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is one of my favorite ways to use zucchini because it uses a good amount (a whopping 3 cups) and is so rich, so moist, and has that incredibly deep, dark chocolate flavor. I love topping it off with a light and fluffy chocolate whipped cream – it’s sweet and chocolatey but light enough that it really makes the cake shine. If you like it a little sweeter, the Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting made from these Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes would be a wonderful addition!
Ingredients in Chocolate Zucchini Cake
These ingredients result in a moist, chocolatey cake that will make your mouth water! You can find the exact measurements on the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Sugar: Add some sweet flavor to the bottom of the cake.
- buttermilk: You can use store-bought buttermilk or you can easily make it at home with this recipe.
- eggs: I always use large eggs when I cook and bake.
- vanilla: Add a splash of vanilla flavor to the cake!
- flour: Balance the flour as you measure so you get just the right amount. I used all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- cocoa powder: This is the ingredient that gives you that delicious chocolaty flavor.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These will help your cake rise and become soft and fluffy.
- Salt: The salt enhances the flavors of all the other ingredients.
- Zucchini: This adds all the moisture to this chocolate zucchini cake! You will need at least 1 large zucchini or 2 small zucchini to make enough for this cake.
Creamy chocolate coating
- Heavy whipping cream: This makes the topping so light and creamy!
- powdered sugar: This gives the cream a sweet taste and keeps the topping nice and smooth.
- cocoa powder: Make this a chocolate flavor with the cocoa powder!
- Vanilla: The vanilla enhances all the sweet flavors.
How to make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This cake is easy and delicious. It’s packed with flavor and the texture is so soft and moist it’s to die for! Your family will go crazy for it!
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 pan (line with parchment paper if you like).
- whisk: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
- Combine: Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder and stir until combined.
- stir: Stir in zucchini, just until well combined.
- Bake: Spread onto the prepared pan and bake for 30-34 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Set the chocolate zucchini cake aside to cool to room temperature.
Creamy chocolate coating
- Combine: In a medium-sized bowl, combine heavy cream, sugar, cocoa, and vanilla.
- Hit: Beat with an electric mixer on low until incorporated, then beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Spread: Spread on the cooled chocolate zucchini cake and serve.
Variations on this Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
- whole wheat flour: If you’re looking to get a little healthier with this recipe, you can swap out a cup of flour for whole wheat flour and no one will notice.
- Add cinnamon: Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the cake batter with the cocoa for a more traditional zucchini cake flavor.
- Chocolate Chips: Add a cup of chocolate chips to the batter before baking for extra melty little pockets of chocolate.
- Make it a little: Cut into cubes and use as the base for a light bite with chocolate whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Here’s how to store this Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This cake is best eaten the same day as it will start to get a bit soggy afterward from being so moist.
- In the refrigerator: Store this cake in an airtight container and it will keep in your fridge for 1-2 days.
- In the freezer: You can freeze the cake (before adding the whipped topping) as long as you wrap it in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight container. It lasts about 3 months. When you’re ready to eat it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then add the whipped topping just before serving.
More delicious zucchini recipes
If you have leftover zucchini that you need to use, I have a few more recipes for you to try! The palette ranges from bread and delicacies to salads. So prep your zucchini, you will love these!!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan (line with parchment paper if you like).
In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking soda and stir until combined.
Stir in zucchini, just until well combined.
Spread onto the prepared pan and bake for 30-34 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Leave to cool to room temperature.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine heavy cream, sugar, cocoa, and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low until incorporated, then beat on high until stiff peaks form.
Spread over the cooled cake and serve.
Originally posted on July 8th, 2020
Updated July 4, 2022
calories371kcal (19%)carbohydrates61G (20%)protein6G (12%)Fat14G (22%)Saturated Fatty Acids8thG (40%)cholesterol70mg (23%)sodium424mg (18%)potassium291mg (8th%)fiber3G (12%)sugar40G (44%)Vitamin A572ie (11%)vitamin C6mg (7%)calcium77mg (8th%)iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary per household based on the brands you use, measurement methods, and serving sizes.
keyword Chocolate Zucchini Cake