Crispy celery, sweet apples, and toasted walnuts are tossed with mayonnaise and tossed with warming flavors like radishes, cinnamon, black pepper, and nutmeg for a fun twist on Waldorf salad. If you're looking for a tasty side to go with your vacation meal, you've come to the right place Apple salad Recipe!
Why this recipe works
For one, I'm a big fan of almost every type of apple. They're beautiful to look at, crispy to bite, and a perfect balance between sweet and sour. They are a treat for nature!
There are so many varieties of apples out there so just experiment.
I also like adding radishes to my apple salad recipe. Their peppery taste and crunchy texture are a natural pair for apples! If you're not a fan of radishes, you can leave these out.
The creamy dressing for this apple salad recipe is based on mayonnaise. You can use whatever brand of mayonnaise you bought from your favorite store, or you can wait for my vegan, egg-free mayonnaise recipe to be shared next!
Finally, I add roasted walnuts for extra flavor and crunch. You can easily substitute your favorite nut to customize the salad to your liking – almonds, cashews or pecans would all be lovely.
Feel free to make even more adjustments with other add-ins like dried berries, vegan marshmallows, halved grapes or banana slices.
Perhaps the best thing about my apple salad recipe is that it can be easily scaled up or down, depending on the size of the crowd you're trying to feed.
This apple salad with walnuts can also be prepared in advance and can be kept well in the refrigerator or freezer. It's the absolutely perfect side dish for any gathering.
Step by step instructions
How to make apple salad
1. Place 2 to 2.25 cups of peeled and chopped apples in a mixing bowl. (That's roughly 2 large, 3 medium, or 4 small apples, or just about 320 grams of apples.) If using, add 2 tablespoons of grated radish.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and mix well. The citric acid prevents the apples from browning when you put the salad together later.
TIP: If you have canned citric acid on hand, you can dissolve a teaspoon in a cup of water and soak it quickly for 5 to 10 minutes instead of using the lemon.
3. Add 5 tablespoons of chopped roasted walnuts and 2 tablespoons of chopped celery. I prefer my celery and nuts to be finely chopped so that there is a little bit in every bite. If you prefer more variety per bite, leave them in slightly larger chunks.
TIP: For more flavorful walnuts, you can quickly roast them before chopping. Bake them either in an oven preheated to 175 ° C for about 10 minutes or in a dry skillet on the stove.
Just be sure to keep your eyes and nose sharp. The nuts can be roasted nicely or burned more quickly. When you start to smell the aroma of the nuts more intensely, they should be done!
4. Add ¼ cup of mayo (your favorite brand, homemade recipe, vegan or egg free). Seasoning with 2 prizes Cinnamon, 2 prizes grated nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper.
5. Mix very well. You are ready to enjoy a delicious, creamy, crunchy apple salad with walnuts!
6. Serve apple salad with chopped celery and chopped walnuts.
How else can I customize the salad?
- Mayo: First off, you can use any type of mayonnaise you prefer. You might have a store-bought version on hand, or you might prefer to make your own egg-free or vegan mayonnaise. Feel free to use any mayo you want! Not a fan of mayo? Try Greek yogurt (or Greek-style vegan yogurt) instead.
- Nuts: Next you can replace the nuts or remove them entirely. Good substitutions are pecans, almonds, cashews, or pistachios.
- Nut Free: Would you prefer a nut-free salad? Instead, opt for dried fruits or sunflower seeds!
- Other variations: You can also make your apple salad a little sweeter by adding vegan mini marshmallows or banana slices or berries (fresh or frozen).
Should I peel the apples before using them?
Apples are part of the so-called “dirty dozen”, which is considered to be the fruit and vegetables most affected by pesticides. If that weren't bad enough, many conventionally grown apples have a wax coating on their skin that makes them difficult to wash effectively.
This is why I recommend peeling them after you've washed them naturally! It is also better if you use apples from your own orchard or buy them organic.
To wash your apples, soak them in water with a little vinegar and baking soda for 15 to 20 minutes.
Expert tips + FAQs
Which apple variety is best for this recipe?
You can use a variety of apples for this twist on apple salad. Personally, I prefer a crispy, sweet variety like Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady or Gala. I also find that very tart varieties – like Granny Smith – or more floury varieties – like Red Delicious – are better for baking than raw food, but that's just my opinion.
How do I keep my apples from turning brown?
The entire purpose of lemon juice in this recipe is to prevent the apples from oxidizing. If you don't have lemons on hand, you can soak in either citric acid water (1 teaspoon per cup) or even salt water for 5 to 10 minutes.
If you don't have access to any of these options, try not to cut the apples much before serving. In a pinch, to prevent them from oxidizing by throwing them into plain, cold water while you're making the rest of the salad.
What's the best way to store this apple salad?
Apple salad is best when enjoyed right away. However, you can store this salad in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze it for up to a month.
Can I skip the celery (or radishes or walnuts)?
Naturally! If there is something you don't like or it doesn't work for your diet, you can leave it out. There are some good customization options that I've listed above.
More salad inspirations!
Easy • • 10 min
Cherry tomato salad
Cabbage Coleslaw | coleslaw
If you've made this recipe, please rate it on the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes straight to your inbox, sign up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
This simple, creamy apple salad recipe is a wonderful site for any gathering. It's sweet, crispy, and perfect on any buffet table. It's naturally gluten-free and perfectly kid-friendly.
Preparation time 10 min
cooking time 0 min
total time 10 min
kitchen Americans, world
Diet: Gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian
Difficulty level: Easy
Put the peeled and chopped apples in a mixing bowl. Add grated radish if necessary.
Add lemon juice and mix very well.
Add chopped walnuts and chopped celery.
Add the mayonnaise. Season with ground cinnamon, grated nutmeg and crushed black pepper.
Mix very well. You are ready to enjoy!
Serve apple salad garnished with chopped celery and chopped walnuts.
- Chop celery and walnuts: I prefer my celery and walnuts to be finely chopped so that there's something in every bite. If you prefer more variety per bite, leave them in slightly larger chunks.
- Toast walnuts: For more flavorful walnuts, you can quickly roast them before chopping. Bake them either in an oven preheated to 175 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes, or in a dry skillet on the stove. Just make sure to keep your eyes and nose sharp. The nuts can go from nicely roasted to more burnt in a flash. When you start to smell the aroma of the nuts more intensely, they should be done!
- Scaling & storage: Apple salad is best when enjoyed right away. However, you can store this salad in the refrigerator for up to three days or freeze it for up to a month. You can easily double, triple, or quadruple the recipe for a large amount.
- Skipping Celery or Radishes or Walnuts: If you don't like an ingredient or if it doesn't work for you, you can leave it out. I've listed some good customization options in the post above.
- Apples turn brown: In this recipe, lemon juice is added to prevent the apples from oxidizing. If you don't have lemons or lemon juice, you can soak in either citric acid water (1 teaspoon per cup) or even salt water for 5 to 10 minutes. If you don't have citric acid, try not to cut the apples much before serving. Even if you toss them in plain, cold water, they won't oxidize while you're making the rest of the salad.
Apple salad recipe
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value *
fat 20 g31%
Saturated fat 2g13%
cholesterol 2 mg1%
sodium 164 mg7%
potassium 256 mg7%
carbohydrates 20 g7%
Vitamin A. 69IU1%
Vitamin B1 (thiamine) 1 mg67%
Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 1 mg59%
Vitamin B3 (niacin) 1 mg5%
Vitamin B6 1 mg50%
vitamin C 7 mg8th%
Vitamin E. 1 mg7%
Vitamin K. 10 ug10%
calcium 41 mg4%
Vitamin B9 (folic acid) 36 ug9%
iron 1 mg6%
magnesium 51 mg13%
phosphorus 111 mg11%
zinc 1 mg7%
* Daily percentages are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Do you like our videos? Then follow and subscribe to us on Youtube for the latest recipe video updates.
All of our content and photos are protected by copyright. Please do not copy. If you as a blogger would like to adapt this recipe or create a Youtube video, please write the recipe in your own words and provide a clickable link back to the recipe at this url.