Karahi or Kadai chicken. This delicious North Indian and Pakistani dish is a staple in most restaurants serving Indo-Continental dishes. Kadai Chicken is available in different versions, spicy with paprika or light and creamy.
My favorite is this DELICIOUS … Creamy Chicken Karahi that uses yogurt and cream. There is no chili powder or turmeric, so it stays light. What every cook likes about a Kadai chicken is that it uses a single cooking device – a Kadai or a deep-sided WOK! The chicken is cooked until it is "Falling off the bone" tender in a covered wok until it's just delicious! So that's how I do it. Oh and did I forget to mention it's delicious? 🙂
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 kg of chicken, without skin – washed and drained.
- 1 whole bulb of garlic & the same amount of ginger.
- 1 large onion, diced.
- 8 small green chili peppers (for spicy chicken) or 2 long milder green chili peppers – I use the mild ones.
- ½ cup of yogurt whipped well.
- ½ cup of cream. I use. Use a pouring cream / fresh cream.
- 1 tsp garam masala. My Garam Masala.
- ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 1 tsp coriander powder.
- 3/4 tsp white pepper powder.
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt, approx. 1 tsp plus to taste.
- 2 tablespoons of ginger julienne cut.
- ¼ cup of vegetable or sunflower oil.
- Wash, clean, and drain the chicken.
- Grind ginger and garlic into a smooth paste without water.
- Marinate the chicken with this paste and 1 tsp salt for about 20 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large wok with the lid tightly closed.
- Add the diced onion. Sweat a little – don't tan.
- Put the marinated chicken in the wok and stir well. Throw until the chicken is evenly white in color.
- Cover the wok on low to medium heat for 5 minutes until the liquids are released from the chicken.
- Do not add water.
- Open the well-beaten yogurt and add it. Mix quickly to mix. Cover the wok again and measure it for about 8 minutes. (Adjust the heat so the chicken doesn't stick to your wok.)
- The sauce should be thick and no longer runny.
- Add the green chili peppers. Try and add salt if necessary.
- Add the cream and garam masala. Stir to combine.
- Add coriander powder, white pepper powder and cumin. Stir well over low heat.
- Add the lemon juice. (First add half of the lemon juice and try before adding anything. Use only freshly squeezed lemon juice.)
- Add the ginger and reserve something to garnish. Let the sauce thicken slightly.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of extra cream if you want more creaminess.
- Serve hot with Sheermal (Saffron air bread) or other flat bread
Did you enjoy our time? Kadai chicken ? Let us know.
This chicken is bright but full of taste!
Using a large wok ensures that the chicken is cooked so gently within the specified time. Don't forget to cover during some cooking processes. The cooking process must not be interrupted. Whatever you do, don't overcook this chicken preparation, it will dry out and lose flavor.
You may also like:
|The original content here is published under these license terms:||X.|
|License summary:||You can read the original content in the context in which it was published (at this web address). You may only use the content otherwise with the written permission of the author against payment of a fee.|