Sindhi Biryani – The famous Pakistani Biryani.
Sindhi Biryani is a unique preparation of meat with rice from the Pakistani province of Sindh. Not only is it undoubtedly the most popular dish in Sindh, it is also one of the most popular dishes in Pakistan. Sindhi Biryani is served by Pakistan Internationa Airlines (PIA) on almost all flights.
Sindhi Biryani can be made with mutton, beef or chicken using this recipe. Today I share the recipe “Made from Scratch” – there are no Garam Masalas bought in the shop. The unique taste of this Biryani lies in the Special Masala, which consists of a mixture of spices and ingredients. The Biryani is rather “Masaledar” (made from robust, seasoned Masala) and spicy with green chili peppers. A must if you are a Biryani lover. This recipe contains the special spice mixture for Sindhi Biryani.
You are here: Quick Search> Rice> Sindhi Biryani – The famous Pakistani Biryani.
|Recipe name: Sindhi Biryani – The famous Pakistani Biryani.
Recipe type: Rice / Pakistani
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: (8-10 servings.)
Watch the video above or click to read the full recipe below. How to make Sindhi Biryani – the famous Pakistani Biryani, recipe at a glance:
- Make the special spice mix the night before if you want to save some time.
- Make the masala by starting to fry the onions in oil. Add each ingredient as directed and cook for the time specified in the recipe.
- Cook the rice separately in boiling water until it is 3/4 cooked and drain.
- Cover the cooked masala with green masala and then rice and cook until everything is steamed and the rice is fully cooked.
- Stir gently and let rest before serving the biryani.
- 3 1/2 cups of basmati rice
- 1 1/4 kg medium-sized pieces of chicken for biryani (bone-in skinless) (mutton or beef can also be used)
- 3/4 -1 cup of oil (sunflower / vegetables)
- 2 red onions, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons of fresh garlic finely chopped / chopped
- 3 Large potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped / chopped
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt / Greek yogurt, beaten nicely
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed.
- 5 cloves (for rice)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (for rice)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes chopped or sliced
- 1 cup of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 5-10 small hot green chili peppers (far left or slit to increase heat)
“Special spice mix” for Sindhi Biryani: (Combination of special ingredients, spices and powders)
This spice blend can be made one day ahead of time for convenience.
- 5-6 Dried Plums / Aloo Bukhara
- 10 carnations
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp caramel seeds / Ajwain
- 1 tsp cinnamon sticks (broken into tiny sticks so you can measure better)
- 2 black cardamom capsules / Badi Elaichi
- 8 green cardamom capsules / Elaichi
- 2 star anise / chakra phool
- 4 Indian Bay leaves / Tej Patta
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground fennel / sauna
- 1/4 tsp ground dried ginger / saunth
- 1/2 tsp meat tenderizer powder – see notes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Meat / chicken, basmati rice, aloo bukhara, spices, oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, herbs, yoghurt, green chili peppers, salt