Greek Lemon Chicken is a sweet with a touch of summer in a pan! Made with a handful of ingredients, this chicken is slightly peazy.
Greek food is fresh, light, and has loads of flavor! Try these authentic favorites like this gyros, lettuce and pasta salad.
greek lemon chicken
Easy Greek Lemon Chicken is a quick and healthy meal that you will want to make all the time! All it takes is a few spices, some garlic, lemon and olive oil, and you're done! Greek chicken is the most delicious chicken, and the roasted lemon wedges add zest and freshness. The lemons also create the most delicious sauce! The roasted lemons combine with the pan juices and olives for a deep, complex, intense flavor. You will love it!
The tender chicken will melt in your mouth. The spices and lemons create a flavor and sauce that is great to spread over rice, mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables. Your whole family will love the taste and you will love how easy it is. Perfect for a busy weekday or a lazy weekend. Plus, it looks almost as nice going in the oven as it is coming out!
Ingredients for lemon chicken
Simple but full of flavor, you will be amazed how easy and tasty it is. So let's cook.
- Chicken thighs: Bones clean and skin on.
- Olive oil: Adds incredible flavor and helps the chicken cook.
- Garlic: Freshly chopped.
- Salt and pepper:This is to taste, I used kosher salt.
- Dried oregano: A staple in Greek cuisine.
- Crushed Red Pepper: Adds some warmth.
- Dried thyme: Thyme goes well with chicken.
- Lemons: You will need 2 lemons, one for slicing and one for peeling and juicing.
Let's just make lemon chicken!
The marinade itself couldn't be easier to prepare. The secret taste you crave comes from the lemon wedges roasting next to the chicken. Everything boils in one pan for easy and quick cleaning.
- Preheating: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine the chicken legs, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, organo, crushed red pepper, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well.
- Pan: Place the chicken legs skin up in your cast iron pan.
- Combine: Place the lemon wedges in the leftover marinade and place in the pan between the chicken pieces.
- Cook: Fry for 35-40 minutes or until brown and crispy
Tips and variations for the best chicken
This Greek lemon chicken is so easy and forgiving. It's hard to mess up. I love dishes like that. You can't go wrong with this zesty light chicken dinner.
- chicken: Using bone-and-skinned chicken thighs creates the juiciest, most tender chicken. You can also use chicken breasts. I recommend trimming the breasts so that they are evenly thick. That way, they'll cook more evenly. Chicken legs would work too.
- Marinate: If you want, you can marinate the chicken for up to 5 hours before cooking. It will intensify the flavors all the more.
- Garlic: If you can use fresh garlic, you won't regret it. There will be better taste.
- Serve it with: Make it a night to remember in the Middle East and serve it up with homemade naan, hummus, and this yummy Greek spinach noodle.
- Business: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
What makes Greek food Greek?
Greek food and Mediterranean food share many of the same characteristics, but there is a difference. Even if it's subtle. The basis of Greek cuisine consists of wheat, olives and wine. Vegetables, olive oil, grains, fish, and meat are used, including pork, poultry, veal and beef, lamb, rabbit, and goat. Other important ingredients are pasta, cheese, lemon juice, herbs, olives and yogurt.
It should be noted here that American Greek yogurt has nothing to do with real Greek yogurt. Bread is usually made from wheat and other grains like barley. Common dessert ingredients are nuts, honey, fruit, and filo pastry. The Greek climate is perfect for olive and lemon trees and produces two of the most important elements of Greek cuisine. Popular herbs and spices include garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, and mint.
More chicken recipes to love
Easy greek lemon chicken
Preparation time 5 protocol
cooking time 40 protocol
total time 45 protocol
Servings 5 Chicken thighs
Easy Greek Lemon Chicken is made with just a handful of ingredients in a cast iron pan along with toasted lemon wedges that make a simple pan sauce.
Bones in and skin on
crushed red pepper
one cut into wedges and one juiced and peeled
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken legs, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, crushed red pepper, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well.
Place the chicken legs skin-up in your cast iron pan.
Place the lemon wedges in the leftover marinade and place in the pan between the chicken pieces.
Fry for 35-40 minutes or until brown and crispy.
Updated February 21, 2021
Quote from on April 12, 2017
Calories359kcal (18%)carbohydrates5G (2%)protein19thG (38%)fat30thG (46%)Saturated fat7thG (35%)cholesterol111mg (37%)sodium323mg (13%)potassium298mg (9%)Fiber1G (4%)sugar1G (1%)Vitamin A.120IU (2%)vitamin C23.4mg (28%)calcium24mg (2%)iron1.2mg (7%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Every recipe and nutritional value depends on the brands, measuring methods and serving sizes you use per household.