Poblanos are the best substitute for stuffing Turkish peppers. In Turkish cuisine, it is quite rare to stuff spicy peppers. However, the sharpness that Poblanos give to this traditional Turkish Dolma dish is absolutely inspiring. This is a classic dolma recipe. The filling can be used for any type of bell pepper that you appeal to.
6 poblanos, washed and pitted
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, finely diced, ~ 1 cup
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes grated or mashed in a blender
7 tbsp rice (1 tbsp for each poblano and 1 bonus)
1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
1/3 flat parsley, finely chopped
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp tomato paste + 1 tbsp red pepper paste (if you cannot find a red pepper paste, use 2 tbsp tomato paste)
4 tablespoons of olive oil or butter
-Wash and cut the tops of poblanos. Don't throw them away, we'll use them later. Use a sharp knife to prick the poblanos down.
– Put minced meat, grated tomatoes, rice, onions, garlic, dill, parsley, salt and pepper (ie all ingredients except tomato paste and olive oil) in a large bowl and mix well with your hands for a few minutes.
– Fill the poblanos with the filling loosely half and one centimeter below the top. Do not try to push down or fit as much as possible. Rice will expand, so give it some space.
– Cover the tops with the cut off Poblano tops. You can also use sliced tomatoes to cover the tops. Either way it's fine. The idea is to keep the filling inside. In other words, put the stuffed peppers in a large enough pot to have them.
– Mix the tomato paste (and the red pepper, if available) with ~ 2 cups of hot water in the cup and melt the paste while stirring. Pour this mixture over the dolmas. The water should not completely cover the dolmas, but more than half of it should get through. Add water if necessary. The upper parts of the peppers are cooked from the steam.
– Add olive oil or butter.
– Bring to the boil first and then turn down and simmer covered ~ 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes.
– Serve with yogurt on the side. The inside will look like this: